Wednesday 26 September 2012

200,000AD! Covers Blog reaches a fifth of a million Hits!

200,000 Creep!

Wahoo! Today my blog has hit a massive two hundred thousand views and I'm delighted! Admittedly, 199,992 are probably me but I am absolutely thrilled that others seem to be getting almost as much enjoyment out the blog as me!

This blog really is a labour of love; what started as something that I expected to host a few images has become a weekly celebration of the most amazing art talent in the world of comics. While I love writing it, I can't possibly take the credit - I rely heavily on the goodwill of some terrifically generous artists who provide not only mind blowing images, but often thoughtful, insightful commentary which hopefully captures their pure unadulterated creativity and inspires us all.

Thanks to this blog I've been lucky enough to connect with some of my lifelong heroes; I can't describe how exciting it is when an email from Carlos Ezquerra, Cliff Robinson or Mick McMahon plops into my inbox! It's equally thrilling when favourites such as D'Israeli, Jon Davis Hunt, Chris Weston or Ben Willsher get in touch as I know I'm going to get some solid gold images, often with pages and pages of notes or even a history lesson at times! These, are just a few of the many who have hopefully made this a cool place to visit, and I'd like to thank them all. 

To celebrate, I'm going to give you a run down of the ten (current) most popular posts, in reverse order. You may well be suprised...

So pop pickers, in at ten we have Chris Weston's absolutely beautiful Love Letter to the second Golden Age of 2000AD:

The queues start early at the 2000AD shop January sales...

As a bonus, here for the first time on this blog, is the double sided version of that dangerously Zarjaz image...

Double Whammy!

In at number nine is a cover by someone who unfortunately hasn't actually been in or on the prog! It's the cover of Super Squirrel Undefeated, the fan's tribute comic to the poorly 2000AD legend Carlos Ezquerra by the lovely Kev Levell...

By day, Charlie Squirrel, by night, Super Squirrel!

Number eight is Prog 1690 by the brilliant Greg Staples, a cover that I still remember pulling out of my subs envelope and gasping! This post also featured as a history lesson of all the Chief Judges, one of the many ideas I thought would have been quick but ended up taking me hours to do!




Chief Judge Dread?

Clint Langley's first entry, in at number 7, is Prog 1662's Slaine the Smuggler cover...



200,000, and he didn't think it too many!

In at ssssssix is Henry Flint with a ssssstunning cover that made me write a Dark Judgesssss sssssspecial. Right, I'll sssstop that now, it'sss getting on my titssssss!

The Three Amigos

In at five is a special dedicated to the King of Covers, Carlos Ezquerra. Coinciding with his badass Dredd and Rico cover of Prog 1664, this post was an excuse to look at some of Carlos' amazing covers of the past...




Who's gonna mess with Carlos?

Clint Langley is back at four with his Rollerball inspired cover for prog 1714. This post also featured some of Clint's collaborations with other artists, including some wonderful unpublished images from the late, great John Hicklenton...

  A high roller at number four...


A typically brutal cover by John Hicklenton.

And at three is... Clint Langley! This time the ABC Warriors special that showcased many of Clint's stunning ABC Warriors Volgan War covers. A masterclass in digital art...




A smushing cover at no 3...

At two, thanks in part to media interest regarding the blatant plagiarism of Edmund Badwell's brilliant Cradlegrave cover by the Monster Project movie, is prog 1633...



Chav a nice day!

Aaaaaaand, at number one, amazingly as it's a relatively new cover, is...

Chris Weston's brilliant Akira inspired lawmaster Megazine cover for Meg 325.  Congratulations to Chris, a worthy winner who's covers are never fail to be outstanding and who's cover breakdowns are always ultra detailed and absolutely fascinating!

Judgement time!


So, from the bottom of my heart, I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time to look at this blog and read my drivel. More so, I'd like to thank the wonderful 2000AD artists who send me covers week in, week out, often taking the time to show us how they create their magic. Finally, a massive thanks to Pye Parr at Rebellion, my port of call when I can't track an artist down and has, on several occasions, sent me images when I know he's snowed under with deadlines from the tyrannical Tharg himself!

Here's to another 200,000!

1 comment:

  1. Arg. When are we going to get a high-res version of that double spread Chris Weston cover? Or an opportunity to buy it as a poster!

    ReplyDelete